WhaleShark Media's RetailMeNot.com Helps Facilitate 2% of All E-Commerce Sales in the United States From Thanksgiving Through Cyber Monday
- Strong sitewide traffic growth (+39%) helps RetailMeNot facilitate an estimated almost $90MM in merchant sales from Thanksgiving through Cyber Monday
- Thanksgiving Day continues trend of delivering consumers highest reported savings of more than $24 per coupon used
- Mobile traffic increases by 150%; iPhone and Android each deliver stronger mobile traffic to RetailMeNot than iPad traffic on Black Friday
- Coupons for apparel and consumer electronic retailers continue to lead the pack; travel and jewelry categories lag
Nov 29, 2012
AUSTIN, Texas, Nov. 29, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- RetailMeNot (www.retailmenot.com), the largest online coupon site in the United States, which is owned and operated by WhaleShark Media (www.whalesharkmedia.com), today released some initial business results and trends following the biggest holiday shopping weekend of 2012. Early results indicate that coupon click activity on RetailMeNot helped facilitate 2% of all e-commerce sales in the United States.
Other data, during the period of Thanksgiving and Black Friday through Cyber Monday, included:
- Sitewide traffic to RetailMeNot.com in 2012 grew by 39% year-over-year from Thanksgiving through Cyber Monday.
- Mobile traffic increased by more than 150% year-over-year
- On Black Friday, RetailMeNot traffic from iPhone and Android devices both individually exceeded iPad traffic (the only day of the year when this happens)
- To date, the RetailMeNot coupons app for iPhone and Android have been downloaded more than 1.7 million times
- Hourly coupon-click growth over the five-day period increased from 30% to more than 120% year-over-year
- Traffic growth and an increase in coupon usage enabled RetailMeNot to help merchants facilitate an estimated almost $90 million in sales
- Over the last 12 months, WhaleShark Media estimates it helped merchants facilitate more than $2.5 billion in sales
- WhaleShark Media expects to generate more than 450 million visits to its websites in 2012 vs. 300 million visits in 2011
"This is a significant moment in our company's history here at WhaleShark Media. We experienced soaring growth both sitewide and via our mobile channels, propelling our business in the U.S. to drive 2% of all e-commerce sales," said Cotter Cunningham, CEO and founder of WhaleShark Media, Inc.
"We are especially pleased to see such a strong performance via our mobile channels as our iPhone and Android coupon apps across several of our brands – especially RetailMeNot – continue to perform well."
Retail Category Leaders: Thanksgiving through Cyber Monday
The following retail categories, ranked based on a percentage of coupon clicks on RetailMeNot on top-performing related store pages, saw the strongest activity sitewide:
- Multi/Department Stores
- Consumer Electronics
- Home Decor
- Bath & Beauty
- Outdoors, Health & Fitness (Sporting Goods)
- Books, Movies, Music
- Best Day for Savings: Thanksgiving, with an average reported savings of more than $24 per coupon used, up 5% year-over-year. Thanksgiving was also the biggest day for savings in 2011.
- Cyber Monday was a close second, with average reported savings of $23.64 per coupon used, an increase of 24% year-over-year (suggesting an improved deals environment on Cyber Monday 2012 vs. prior year).
RetailMeNot.com (www.retailmenot.com) is the leading consumer destination for collaborative online coupon, deal and promotional code hunting and sharing. Our mission is to help consumers save money and enjoy a hassle-free discount shopping experience. Since November 2006, our users have shared hundreds of thousands of deals and offers from retailers from across the globe. Online coupons are rated and ranked by users, ensuring that quality deals rise to the top and expired coupons drop down the list. RetailMeNot.com is operated by WhaleShark Media, Inc., the world's leading marketplace for online coupons and deals.
Shopping on the go? Download the RetailMeNot Coupons app for iPhone and Android phones to access Hot Deals, browse top coupons, popular stores and categories and get thousands of online and in-store coupons to shop when you want, where you want. Make sure to "like" RetailMeNot.com and authorize the RetailMeNot app on Facebook, follow the company via Twitter @retailmenot and add us on Google+.
About WhaleShark Media, Inc.
WhaleShark Media, Inc. (www.whalesharkmedia.com) is the world's leading marketplace for online coupons and deals. The company's websites enable consumers seeking to save money to find hundreds of thousands of offers from retailers across the globe. WhaleShark Media experiences more than 400 million consumer visits to its sites every year. The WhaleShark Media portfolio of coupon and deal websites includes www.RetailMeNot.com, the largest online coupon site in the United States; www.VoucherCodes.co.uk, the largest online coupon site in the United Kingdom; www.Deals.com in Germany; web.Bons-de-Reduction.com and www.Poulpeo.com in France; www.Deals2Buy.com; www.CouponSeven.com; and www.CouponShare.com. WhaleShark Media is a fast-growing, profitable company funded by venture capital firms Austin Ventures, Norwest Venture Partners, Adams Street Partners, Google Ventures, J.P. Morgan Asset Management and Institutional Venture Partners (IVP).
WhaleShark Media (operator of RetailMeNot.com)
+1 512 777 2957
WhaleShark Media (operator of RetailMeNot.com)
+1 832 398 5792
Allison+Partners Public Relations